Re: COMMENTS on Tentative Design Summary v0.92

[Note from the moderator: Please send any reactions to 0.92 and the
comments on it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, and preferably before Friday noon,
when version 0.93 will appear. I'll try to forward them to subscribers
promptly.  BTW, the design appears to be converging:  we expect that
v0.93 will be followed by a version 1.0 in mid-October, representing a
coherent design, with broad agreement within the Language Design Task
Group concerning the various compromise solutions that have been found.
Then the other task groups will be able to start in earnest, at last.
Sorry that it has taken so long.  --PDM]

>NEW PROPOSAL FOR THE NAME of the first-order common algebraic
>language: FOCAL.  Please REACT if you feel strongly for or against any
>of the current proposals, or have new ones to make.
>We should get the "Algebraic" in there somehow...

We should have a name that we can still use for the extensions as well.
That's why I had proposed BLACK CoFI (Bare Language for Algebric speCK)...
Seriously, my rating:
        ++ Black CoFI (after all CoFI is real!!)
        ++ CLASS

[I guess if we always use it with an adjective, it doesn't sound too
OO - first-CLASS, high-CLASS, lower-CLASS. Or CLASS-1, CLASS++ ?
--PDM]

        ++ COALA (in particular Bare)
        +  FOCAL (good, but what about extensions?)

[Not so easy... -PDM]

        -- ALCOL (too close to ALGOL; except extensions whould be other
spirits?)

[Actually, I thought the closeness to Algol would make Alcol easy to
remember - and our design effort has much in common with that of
Algol60. --PDM]

>*** DECOMPOSITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS
>
>AH>   I would prefer the term "architectural specifications" rather than
>AH>   "decompositional specifications".  Why do you not like the former?
>
>It appears that it was (badly) misleading for those working with
>reactive systems.
>
>AH>    Other alternatives may be
>AH>      "architectural decomposition (specification)" or
>AH>      "architectural structure (specification)"
>AH>   [Bernd: I think that these specifications correspond to
>AH>    Jan Peleska's architecture decomposition trees]
>
>If so, we might change back.
>
>AT>> "Decompositional" seems OK.
>
>All: please react if you have arguments or strong feelings concerning
>this terminology.

I am strongly in favor of "architectural specifications".
The only argument against was apparently some confusion in the area of
reactive systems. I checked back with Jan Peleska (who is very familiar
with the reactive systems specification area and particularly the
terminology in industry) and the conclusion is: our intent, i.e. to
associate with "architectural specifications" that they are (potentially)
implementable units (as opposed to mere structuring of specifications) and
to separate the two, is precisely his.
Moreover, I just got the announcement of a conference about:
        ``architectural description languages''. These
        formalisms provide a clean separation between individual software
        components and their interaction in the overall software organisation.
(announcement forwarded to you [appended]) - the same thing I guess.
So we should revert to this terminology.

[OK, thanks, I'll do that in the next version, due on Friday.  But
I hope it's still OK to use nonterminals suggesting (de)composition
in the abstract syntax grammar. --PDM]

More soon.

regards Bernd

Prof. Dr. Bernd Krieg-Brueckner    courier mail only:
FB3 Mathematik und Informatik      MZH 8071, FB3
Universitaet Bremen                Universitaet Bremen
Postfach 330 440                   Bibliothekstr. 1
D-28334 Bremen                     D-28359 Bremen

Telefon: (+49) 421-218-3660        privat:  (+49) 421-25-1024
telefax: (+49) 421-218-3054        bkb@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE
NEW: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~bkb

                              Call for Papers

                              COORDINATION'97

    Second International Conference on Coordination Models and Languages
                              Berlin, Germany

                            September 1-3, 1997.

The last decade has seen the emergence of a class of languages and
models variously termed ``coordination languages'', ``configuration
languages'', and ``architectural description languages''. These
formalisms provide a clean separation between individual software
components and their interaction in the overall software organisation.
This separation makes large applications more tractable,
supports global analysis, and enhances reuse of software.
Building on the success of COORDINATION'96,
COORDINATION'97 will provide a forum
for this rapidly growing community working in areas ranging from
theoretical models and foundations,
to languages and implementation techniques.
The proceedings of COORDINATION'96 were published as
Springer Verlag LNCS 1061.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

   * Theoretical models and foundations for coordination: component
     composition; concurrency; dynamic aspects of coordination.
   * Specification, refinement and analysis of software architectures;
     verification of functional and non-functional properties.
   * Coordination, software architecture, and interface definition
     languages; implementation issues; interoperability and heterogeneity.
   * Tools and environments for the development of coordinated applications;
     integration within the development process; maintenance, evolution and
     reuse of software architectures; patterns and architecture styles;
     knowledge-based techniques for software architectures; integration
     tests.
   * Industrial relevance of coordination and software architectures;
     programming in the large; domain-specific software architectures and
     coordination models; case studies.

Submissions:

Authors are invited to send 6 copies of a full paper (in english, up to
6 000 words, preferably double-sided) at the postal address mentioned below.
Full papers must be received by the program co-chair no later than January 24.
Electronic submissions will not be considered.  Simultaneous submission to
other conferences or journals is not allowed.  Each submission should be
preceded by an abstract of no more than 250 words, sent by email (in ascii
format) to coo97@irisa.fr. The abstract must be received by the co-chair by
January 17.

The proceedings will be published by Springer Verlag in the LNCS series.

Selection:

Submissions should explicitly state their contribution and their relevance
to coordination or software architecture. Other criteria for selection will
be originality, significance, correctness and clarity.

Case study workshop:

A co-located workshop will be organised to present and compare approaches
to coordination and software architecture through an industrial case study.
Authors are invited to participate in the workshop by submitting either a
position paper or a full paper presenting a solution to the case study.
For additional details on the workshop, see
            http://www.wins.uva.nl/research/coordination/
or contact the workshop chair at the address below.

Conference format and location:

Coordination'97 will be hosted by the Technical University Berlin.
Berlin is the 3.5 million residents capital of Germany and reflects the
history in a unique way with many touristic attractions. It is one of
Europe's leading cultural centers and offers a rich variety of opera,
theatres and a colorful nightlife for all interests.  The three airports
in Berlin are about 30 to 40 minutes from the western center where the
conference site and hotels for participants are located.

Information on the Web about COORDINATION'97 can be found at
         http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~coord97/

 PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS:                      PAPER SUBMISSION

 David Garlan (CMU/USA)
 Daniel Le Metayer (INRIA/FR)            COORDINATION'97 :
                                         Daniel Le Mitayer
 PROGRAM COMMITTEE:                      INRIA/IRISA
 Jaco de Bakker (CWI/NL)                 Rennes
 Maarten Boasson (Signaal/NL)            Campus de Beaulieu
 Luca Cardelli (Digital/USA)             35042 RENNES CEDEX
 Paolo Ciancarini (Bologna/IT)           FRANCE
 Susan Graham (Berkeley/USA)             Phone: +33 99 84 73 06
 Chris Hankin (London/UK)                Fax: +33 99 84 71 71
 Philippe Kruchten (Rational Soft./CN)   Email: coo97@irisa.fr
 Ugo Montanari (Pisa/IT)
 Mark Moriconi (SRI/USA)
 Oscar Nierstrasz (Berne/CH)             WORKSHOP INFORMATION
 Dewayne Perry (Bell Labs/USA)           Edwin de Jong
 Antonio Porto (Lisbon/P)                Hollandse Signaalapparaten b. v.
 James Purtilo (Maryland/USA)            Zuidelijke Havenweg 40
 David Schmidt (KSU/USA)                 7554 RR Hengelo
 Peter Wegner (Brown/USA)                Netherlands
 Alexander L. Wolf (Colorado/USA)        Phone: +31 74 24 82 851

 LOCAL ORGANIZER:                        Fax: +31 74 24 84 018
 Robert Tolksdorf (TU Berlin)            Email: edejong@signaal.nl

 IMPORTANT DATES

 Deadline for abstracts (email): January 17, 1997
 Deadline for paper submissions: January 24, 1997
 Notification of acceptance: April 13, 1997
 Camera-ready version due: May 23, 1997
 Conference: September 1-3, 1997
 Case study workshop: September 4, 1997