Agenda for the language design meetings in Edinburgh

Dear colleagues,

the emphasis of our next meeting will clearly be on organizing our future
work, esp. w.r.t. extensions, concrete syntax etc. However, some technical
issues of the Common Language still merit discussion.
We should bear in mind that the version of the Common Language 1.0 (to be
available shortly after the meeting) has as its purpose to temporarily
freeze the design of the Common Language such that discussion and serious
work in the other groups, in particular Semantics and Extensions, can
proceed. The idea is that here will be *feedback* from all the other groups
within the next half year or so.
Thus 1.0 is definitely not the final version of the Common Language! And
with the above in mind, I suggest that we concentrate in the discussion of
techical issues on those that have a bearing on Semantics and Extensions,
and for the others rather leave out a concept for now that could be added
later (to the Common Language), in particular after having a clearer view
of the extensions to come. For my *very personal* taste, this applies to
almost all concepts that are still under discussion in the list (B) below
(and the list is short anyway).

In consequence, I hope for a rather short technical discussion (at least in
the meeting proper), using leftover time for more detail.

Please read the documents that Peter is pointing to before the meeting.

My proposal for an agenda is as follows (we can always change according to
need; please let me know if I have forgotten something):

(A)   EXTENSIONS

(A1)  which subset of us is working on what set of issues?
(A2)  what priority? what sub-extension-languages?
(A3)  what sublanguages of CL to do extensions restricted to those?

(B)   REMAINING TECHNICAL ISSUES FOR DISCUSSION IN CL

(B1)  global variables
(B2)  parametrized specifications:
      explicit parameter names,
      compound identifiers (dot notation), fixed parts,
      local definitions of specifications
(B3)  architectural specifications:
      alternatives for compositions,
      unique implementation,
      specifications parametrized by algebras,
      generic architectural specifications

(C)   CONCRETE SYNTAX
(C1)  Following Peters suggestion I would first want to distribute work in the
      sense that *individuals* (or very small groups) among us will be making
      a detailed and consistent proposal for the whole CL *each*, which can
      then be discussed thereafter.
(C2)  special issues in the syntax, principles, guidelines

AOB

best regards
Bernd

Prof. Dr. Bernd Krieg-Brueckner    courier mail only:
FB3 Mathematik und Informatik      MZH 8071, FB3
Universitaet Bremen                Universitaet Bremen
Postfach 330 440                   Bibliothekstr. 1
D-28334 Bremen                     D-28359 Bremen

Telefon: (+49) 421-218-3660        telefax: (+49) 421-218-3054
bkb@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE       privat:  (+49) 421-25-1024
NEW: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~bkb