Agenda for Methodology Task Group Meeting in Cachan

Dear CoFI friends,

The CoFI Workshop in Cachan, Sat 7th - Tue 10th November, 1998,  is getting
near. Please have a look at:
http://www.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/CachanMeetings.html
and register immediately if you intend to attend but have not yet
registered.

The first two sessions on Methodology (Sat 7th afternoon) will be devoted
to the production of a CASL User's Manual.

Among issues to be discussed are:
* Structure of CASL User's Manual
* Style to be chosen
* Concrete plans with volunteers to do the job

To start the discussion, and following an informal meeting held in Dagstuhl
last july, let me mention that:
a) It is not totally obvious that strictly following the current structure
of the Summary is adequate for a User's Manual. But then we need to clarify
which structure is adequate !
b) The expected level (style) of explanation should be carefully designed
too. E.g. do we write a User's Manual for people having already a good
experience in algebraic specification, or do we rather merge both algebraic
specification and CASL user's manual ?
c) Suggestion of relevant user's manual that we could look at (and perhaps
choose as example/model) is welcome. Concrete ideas are needed !

Please consider seriously the above issues. If you intend to assist to the
meeting, then I would appreciate if you could come prepared with a few
concrete suggestions. If you do not intend to attend the meeting, please
send me directly your suggestions, which are wellcome as well.

We should manage to have a draft version of the CASL User's Manual ready
for the next ETAPS conference.

The other sessions (Sunday morning) may be devoted to other issues relevant
to our Task Group. E.g.:
* choice of relevant illustrative case studies
* library of meaningfull examples
* architectural specifications
* TBD

Please send me asap any suggestion for the agenda of this Cachan meeting.
Proposals for presentations are wellcome, provided they help us to make
concrete progress.

Note: The idea of producing notes on some specific topics is not abandoned
(see the minutes of previous meetings in the archive, and please read again
the existing notes), but since the production of the user's manual is now
felt as being more urgent, these notes will be either postponed or
integrated in the user's manual. Any reaction on this issue is wellcome as
well.

Best regards,
Michel Bidoit