Paper on relating CASL to other languages

Dear friends,

I have just finished a paper

  Relating CASL with Other Specification Languages: the Institution Level

It is available at

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till/publications.html

Greetings,
Till

Abstract:

In this work, we consider various specification specification
languages and their relation to CASL, the recently developed Common
Algebraic Specification Language. In particular, we consider the
languages Larch, OBJ3, ACT, ASF, and HEP-theories.  We also consider
various sublanguages of CASL that more or less directly correspond to
these.  All these languages are translated to an appropriate
sublanguage of CASL.

The translation considers only the level of specification
in-the-small: the logics underlying the languages are formalized as
institutions, and representations among the institutions are
developed.

The institution representations concern on one hand the translation of
the CASL institution (and some of its subinstitutions) to simpler
subinstitutions. Given a theorem proving tool for such a simpler
subinstitutions, with the help of such a representation, it can also
be used for the more complex institution. Thus, first-order theorem
provers or conditional term rewriting tools become usable for CASL.

On the other hand, we set up institution representations between the
underlying institution of any of the abovementioned specification
languages and an appropriate subinstitution of CASL.  This allows to
take libraries and case studies that have been developed for other
languages and re-use them in CASL.

Till Mossakowski                Phone +49-421-218-4683, monday: +49-4252-1859
Dept. of Computer Science       Fax +49-421-218-3054
University of Bremen            till@informatik.uni-bremen.de
P.O.Box 330440, D-28334 Bremen  http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till