Re^n: Semantics of free datatype in presence of subsorting

Dear semanticists,

in my last message to the list I pointed out a few doubts about
Peter's proposal.  Though some of the doubts were based on linguistic
misunderstanding (like the meaning of "local" environment clarified by
Till and in which sense an alternative "has" a term, that is still
under discussion), some others actually applied and some more have
been produced :-(.

So we (Till, Peter and me) switched to a private exchange of messages
to save the non-subsorting people to be bored to death. Of course if
any of you is eager to participate in the discussion, just let me know
and I'll forward all the messages sent so far.

The current situation is that any user-friendly formulation found so
far tends to be superficially friendly and fire back as soon as you
try to agree on its meaning at a technical level. But the differences
among the various points of view are decreasing and we are confident
that we will be able to find an agreement in the near future (we are
also delayed by Peter being in a greatly different time zone).

We'll post a summary of the detected problems and a proposal solution
as soon as we have it.

Ciao

Maura