CFP: JLAP Special issue on Annotated Terms (ATerms)

[We apologize for multiple copies of this message]

              Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming

                          Special issue on
                      Annotated Terms (ATerms)

             Deadline for submissions:  March 31, 2002

ATerm (short for Annotated Term) is an abstract data type designed for
the   exchange   of  tree-like  data  structures  between  distributed
applications.  There  are  various alternative formats which serve the
same purpose: OMG's  Interface  Definition  Language  (IDL),  and  the
Extensible  Markup  Language  (XML),  to  name  a  few. The reason for
developing yet  another is  the  need  for  having  an  open,  simple,
efficient, concise, and language independent solution for the exchange
of  complex  data  structures  between  distributed applications.  The
characteristics  of the ATerm library are maximal subterm sharing  and
automatic garbage collection. These characteristics  proved to be very
beneficial when developing, for instance, rewrite  engines  and  model
checkers.

The  Journal of Logic  and Algebraic  Programming is  an international
journal whose aim is to publish  original work in the areas of logical
and algebraic  methods and techniques for programming  in its broadest
sense.   The Journal  of Logic  and Algebraic  Programming complements
Elsevier's  Science of Computer  Programming and  Theoretical Computer
Science  by its  focus on  the foundations  of logical,  algebraic and
categorical  methods  for programming.   For  more information,  visit
http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jlap.

This  special  issue intends  to  cover  aspects  such as  theory  and
foundations,   implementation   issues,   and  applications  involving
underlying  ideas  on  Annotated  Terms.  Topics of  interests for the
submission include (but are  not limited to) the following subjects:

  -- theory and foundations
  -- formal techniques for the analysis of performance
  -- verification techniques
  -- algorithms
  -- implementation
  -- extensions and add-on's
  -- comparison with other exchange formats (such as XML)
  -- applications
  -- case studies

We look for original,  unpublished contributions of high quality which
are not submitted elsewhere. The deadline for submissions is March 31,
2002.  Authors  will  be  notified  of  acceptance or rejection before
October 1st, 2002. We anticipate  publication of the special  issue by
the beginning or middle of 2003. Authors are requested to submit their
paper  electronically to the guest editor,  either in postscript or in
PDF format. We encourage the use of  the Elsevier style file for LaTeX
(see http://www.elsevier.com/locate/latex).

In  order  to  speed  up  the review  process,  authors  are  strongly
encouraged  to send (tentative) title and abstract to the guest editor
as soon as available.

Guest editor

   Mark van den Brand
   Mark.van.den.Brand@cwi.nl