[uDraw(Graph)-Users] How to use API updates

Mattias Werner mawe at tzi.de
Thu Jul 21 09:58:35 CEST 2005

Hello,

Pieter Bellens wrote:
> processor usage of  +95%, and a pretty big memory footprint (almost 30Mb).
> My application repeatedly adds one node, or a collection of edges, to
> the graph. Pretty much in one burst, sending a few thousand of these
> operations to UDG through the pipe in a matter of seconds.

unfortunately the memory footprint of uDraw(Graph) grows, this is a known
problem. But we can't solve it currently because it is a problem of the
programming language we are using. Please tell me what operating system
on which hardware configuration you are using.

> Has anybody else observed this behaviour, and maybe found a remedy for
> it? Would it help if i decrease the number of communications, in favor
> of bigger updates (more nodes and edges in a single piped message)? Or
> is UDG simply not fit for larger graphs?

The incremental layout and update algorithms in uDraw(Graph) are implemented
especially for getting updates in one API command. Every update results in the
following steps in uDraw(Graph):
   1. Insert the update into the graph
   2. Recalculate the layout incrementally for the updated part
   3. Redraw the graph for the updated part
If you send one API command, these steps are executed once, if you send N API
commands, they are executed N times.

Regards,
Mattias Werner
uDraw(Graph) project

--
		Dipl. Inform. Mattias Werner
		Bremen Institute of Safe and Secure Systems (BISS)