1966-1967 General Studies at the Leibniz Kolleg, Universitaet Tuebingen
1967-1969 Studies of Electrical Engineering at the Universitaet Stuttgart
1969-1970 Studies of
Informatics at the Universitaet Karlsruhe
1979-1972 Studies of Informatics and Mathematics at the Universitaet Bonn,
Diploma (MSc) in Applied Mathematics and Informatics
1976 Dr. rer.nat. from the Informatics Department, Universitaet Dortmund
1977 - 1993 with IBM in several technical and
managerial positions in
international software product development and research. His projects included mainframe operating systems, quality assurance (DOS/VSE and Unix), communications software, full-text information retrieval systems (IBM SearchManager), CIM repository systems, and a system for environmental impact analysis for the EXPO 2000.
1985 to 1991 Head of the IBM Institute for Knowledge-based Systems in the Scientific Center of IBM Germany, numerous AI research projects, the most important one being LILOG - Natural Language Processing and Text Understanding.
since 1999 he is an affiliate professor at the George Mason University, Machine Learning and Inference Laboratory, formerly directed by the late Dr. Ryszard Michalski, and now by Dr. Janusz Wojtusiak.
2000 - 2002 CTO at Lenze AG, responsible for hardware and software development.
since 2009 supervising many PhD students, directing research projects, and acquiring new projects at Universitaet Bremen
since 2010 “Wisdom Professor for Visual Information Technologies” at Jacobs University Bremen, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, where he is also a founding member of the Research Centers "VisComX - Visual Communication and Expertise" and the “Humanities Research Center”
His current research interests at TZI/Universitaet Bremen include:
· Multi-agent systems for modeling and simulating autonomous processes and integration of heterogeneous data sources, e.g., for production and logistics networks,
· Data mining and knowledge discovery techniques with applications in, e.g., network security, and dynamic knowledge management in autonomous processes.
· Mobile, wearable and ubiquitous computing for industrial and end user applications in production, logistics, maintenance, healthcare, and for first responders,
· Automatic content analysis and annotation of still images, videos and sound for content-driven multimedia archiving, retrieval, and video abstracting.
Within the Universitaet Bremen, Dr. Herzog continues to contribute to the interdisciplinary activities of the
· Automated semantic analysis of videos in cooperation with Prof. Peter Ludes, Mass Communications
· Informatics for the Humanities.
Dr. Herzog is a Fellow of acatech – the German
National Academy of Science and Engineering, where he is a
• member of the Executive Committee with the portfolio “International Relations” and
• Vice Coordinator of the acatech Topical Network “Information and Communication Technology”
Dr. Herzog is also a Fellow of the GI - Gesellschaft für Informatik, and member of the DAGM and the ACM.
He also serves as
• Trustee and chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT), Birlinghoven,
• member of the IFIP Board of the GI - Gesellschaft für Informatik.
• member of the Advisory Board of InES -Institute for Enterprise Systems, an interdisciplinary Research Institute for Enterprise Systems at the University of Mannheim,
• member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Excellence Cluster “Intelligent Technical Systems Ostwestfalen-Lippe”
Prof. Dr. Otthein Herzog
P.O. Box 75 0561
TZI - FB 3
28334 Bremen, Germany
Research IV - Campusring 1, 28759 Bremen
Am Fallturm 1, 28359 Bremen