Paper on relating CASL to other languages

Dear friends,

I have just finished a paper

  Relating CASL with Other Specification Languages: the Institution Level

It is available at

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till/publications.html

Greetings,
Till

Abstract
--------

In this work, we consider various specification specification languages
and their relation to CASL, the recently developed Common Algebraic
Specification Language. In particular, we consider the languages
Larch,
OBJ3, ACT, ASF, and HEP-theories.
We also consider various sublanguages of CASL
that more or less directly correspond to these.
All these languages are translated to an appropriate
sublanguage of CASL.

The translation considers only the level of specification
in-the-small: the logics underlying the languages are
formalized as institutions, and representations
among the institutions are developed.

The institution representations concern on
one hand the translation of the CASL institution
(and some of its subinstitutions) to
simpler subinstitutions. Given a theorem proving tool
for such a simpler subinstitutions, with the help
of such a representation, it can also be used
for the more complex institution. Thus,
first-order theorem provers or conditional term
rewriting tools become usable for CASL.

On the other hand, we set up institution
representations between the underlying institution
of any of the abovementioned specification languages
and an appropriate subinstitution of CASL.
This allows to take libraries and case studies
that have been developed for other languages
and re-use them in CASL.

Till Mossakowski                Phone +49-421-218-4683, monday: +49-4252-1859
Dept. of Computer Science       Fax +49-421-218-3054
University of Bremen            till@informatik.uni-bremen.de

P.O.Box 330440, D-28334 Bremen  http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~till