New Version 0.3 of the Basic Datatypes

[APOLOGIES IF YOU RECEIVE THIS SEVERAL TIMES ]

Dear friends,

the new version 0.3 of our Basic Datatypes is available in the CoFI
archives at

    http://www.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/Notes/L-12/
    ftp://ftp.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/Notes/L-12/

Due to the discussion in Bonas we split the old note M-6, version 0.2,
in two parts:

-> The here announced note L-12 includes the Basic Datatypes proper. See
below for a list changes in the Basic Datatypes. Further discussions on
the Basic Datatypes will take place on cofi-language.

-> A new version of note M-6 is in preparation. It will include rules
for writing CASL specifications, which we have used to design the Basic
Datatypes. Further discussions on these rules of methodology will take
place on cofi-methodology.

We are always open for criticism and suggestions for improvement.

Greetings
    Markus and Till

P.S.: The Bremen CASL tool has now built in the Basic Datatypes of note
L-12, i.e. you can import these specifications  without the need to
re-load them; this saves time! (Of course you can disable this feature,
e.g. if you want to compile the basic datatypes themselves). The
datatypes can be accessed as in the following example:

    from Basic/Numbers get Nat

    spec Example =
      Nat
    then
      var x,y: Nat
      . x = 7 * y
    end

-----------------------------------

A short list of changes in the Basic Datatypes:

1) The Basic Datatypes are now organized in CASL libraries

    Basic/Orders
    Basic/Algebra_I
    Basic/Numbers
    Basic/SimpleDatatypes
    Basic/StructuredDatatypes
    Basic/Algebra_II
    Basic/MachineNumbers
    Basic/ExactFixedPointNumbers

2)The Basic Datatypes are correct with respect to the static semantic
analysis of the Bremen CASL tool.

3) The note includes a list of "approved" changes that we plan to
mangage in future versions.

--
Markus Roggenbach                Phone +49-421-218-4683
Dept. of Computer Science        Fax +49-421-218-3054