CoFI semantics task group

Contents:

1. Progress with CoFI
2. Semantics task group
3. Meeting dates (!!! look at this now !!!)

language design task group is converging on a tentative language
design.  See
	http://www.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/DesignProposals/Summary/
for version 0.93.  When this is complete the other task groups are
supposed to spring into action.  The primary aim for the first period
of work is to assess the tentative design for flaws.  Assuming that
any problems that are discovered do not require radical changes to the
design, the aim is to converge on a final design by Spring 1997.
Thereafter the main aim will be to prepare the relevant associated
documents that should eventually accompany the CoFI Common Language
Reference Manual.

2. Semantics task group

A very good way to assess the tentative design for flaws would be to
attempt to write down its semantics.  Although this would be a big
step towards completion of our main task, writing a complete semantics
is too big a task to complete within the next six months or so,
especially for a language that has not yet been finalized.  So I think
the best that we can do is to *sketch* the semantics, considering the
features that seem potentially problematic with more care than the
others.  It should be possible to decompose this task, at least
splitting work on the features of basic specifications from work on
structured specifications and so-called architectural specifications.
As we all know, it's necessary to agree on the interface between
modules before getting down to work.

3. Meeting dates

I think a face-to-face meeting is necessary in order to discuss the
form that a semantics might take and to coordinate the work that needs
to be done.  There is a tentative plan to have meeting of this task
group and most of the other task groups in Edinburgh during the few
days preceding or (more likely) following 9th November.  Could you
please tell me:

  a. Would you be likely to attend a meeting on this, in principle?
  b. If so: which of the following days are possible for you?
	Thursday 7th November
	Sunday 10th November
	Monday 11th November
	Tuesday 12th November