CoFI semantics task group: semantics of basic specs in CASL

Dear friends,

A complete draft of this (v1.0) is now available.  You can find it in
        http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/dts/tmp/basic.tex
        http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/dts/tmp/basic.dvi
        http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/dts/tmp/basic.ps
Please ignore the footnotes at the beginning about its location on the
CoFI pages -- these are generated automatically by Peter's cofidoc
package.

This is an attempt to write the semantics of basic specs in more or
less final form rather than going through the intermediate stage of
writing english text, because it seemed that it should be fairly easy
to do that and it will (I hope) provide a better basis for the other
parts.  The style of presentation is similar to that of the SML/EML
semantics.

For those few people who have already seen v0.2 of this document, the
main changes are as follows:
1. Added a paragraph about passing information from static to model
   semantics, near the beginning of Section 2
2. Changes to semantics of SORT-DECL
3. Added semantics of FUN-DECL, PRED-DECL, VAR-DECL, AXIOM, SORT-GEN

I very much welcome all comments, complaints, and bug reports!  I will
try to fix any problems before the meeting at TAPSOFT.

By the way, I would be grateful if people who are planning to attend
that meeting (Wednesday 16th April, after the last TAPSOFT session)
would let me know.  I know about the following people already: me,
Andrzej, Till, Hubert.

Best regards, Don